[labnetwork] TGMS Emergency Response Cordination

Luciani, Vincent Vincent.Luciani at nist.gov
Wed Jul 22 08:07:47 EDT 2015

Hello Corey,

A couple quick answers:

Here at NIST, we coordinate closely with the NIST Fire and Police Departments.
We have automatic shut-off valves but evacuate for all high alarms
We treat every alarm response as real even if we have high confidence that it is a false alarm.
We have an auto dialer that alerts me and the whole NanoFab staff to any alarm or system error.

John's response was (as usual) right on but I wanted to put in my 2 cents about false alarms.  I have been forming, training and participating in Fab emergency response teams (ERT's) for over 30 years and I have a particular dislike of false alarms because of the huge risk if people start assuming they are false.  I want to share a bit of what I learned.

You must have an agreement with all responders (ERT, site Fire Dept. etc) that all alarms are treated as real.  This is difficult when you are plagued with false alarms.  However, in return you commit to getting to the root cause of every false alarm and implement a fix.  I have successfully almost eliminated false alarms by tenaciously pursuing the root cause of each until I found it.  If I were to Pareto chart the causes of false alarms it would look like this (we have the Honeywell sensors)

1) Someone doing work near a sensor that they did not anticipate setting it off:  Jarring it, soldering nearby, pulling wires in the same conduit.
2) Sensor cartridges getting old.  We replace many of them every 6 months.  Some can go a year as specified.
3) Cross sensitivity.  A very insidious problem.  I have had teams of chemists working on finding what caused a sensor go off.  For example, we learned that burning mercaptan (the stuff that makes natural gas smell) will set of a chlorine sensor.  Honeywell confirmed this.  I learned this after fumes from our propane powered forklift on the loading dock set off an HCL sensor a couple times.

Summarizing, my personal recommendations:
Treat every alarm as real, no matter how painful.
Go after the root cause of every false alarm like a hound dog.
Keep the responders updated and involved in the effort.

Good Luck,

VInce