[labnetwork] TGMS Emergency Response Cordination

Hathaway, Malcolm hathaway at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 23 22:41:15 EDT 2015

Hi Corey,

So, at Harvard, our response is pretty much the same as what Noah described at UPenn.  Any ambient "sense event" is treated like a major leak.  All trigger levels are very conservative (low = 1/2 x the 8-hour TLV, high = 1 x 8-hour TLV).  For ambient leaks, all available ERT members should respond on-campus, even nights/weekends.

One of the points of discussion here has been exactly what the Emergency Response Team will do in various situations.  Our current goal to provide fast, accurate information to the Fire Department in the event of a "gas sense event".  We call it that to be clear that we do the same thing whether there is an actual leak, or just a "apparent leak".  Our challenge has been to maintain a "fighting posture" until we have definitively demonstrated there is no leak.  This can be tricky as there is a tendency to silence the alarms and get everything "settled down" as quickly as possible.

Most of our (relatively few) events have been sensors needing to be changed (1 or 2 times), cross-sensitivity (a couple of times), and maintenance chamber openings.  The cross-sensitivity issues involved IPA triggering a TEOS sensor (we decommissioned the TEOS sensors), and some acetylene triggering an LEL sensor.  The chamber-maintenance issues (and smells) have gone away since we go a hepa/carbon-filtered portable fume abatement "snorkel".  We have our bump-test guys come every four months, and that has worked pretty well keeping the sensors happy.  We also have Cambridge Fire come to visit annually (the whole lot of them, in three big batches).

One nice/bad thing about this being Harvard is that if anything bad happens (or might happen), it is automatically a Big Deal.  So, the Cambridge Fire Dept. and certainly the campus police/EHS take everything really seriously.  In the case of your support organizations not seeing the seriousness of the situation, the best thing is to get them in, maybe even for the captains/chiefs to come in for a 40 min powerpoint show featuring the Best of Eugene Ngai (Silane Guy), blown up buildings, destroyed fabs, and the like, followed by a tour, so they can see what could go wrong.  Just having face time with these folks (and university administrators) helps build mutual respect and cooperative attitudes.  Unless you have industry fabs nearby, I can imagine locals may not have much familiarity with the hazards.

And, as Vince at NIST pointed out, fix those false alarms.  Real leaks last longer than a few seconds, so trigger after two polling cycles (for instance).  Make sure vendors know what triggers gas alarms.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Mac Hathaway
Toxic Gas Monitoring Guy
Harvard CNS