[labnetwork] Thermal load in cleanrooms ISO 5/6

Michael Khbeis khbeis at uw.edu
Mon Mar 16 12:26:00 EDT 2015

Loik

I think that having the electrical load converted to heat load and having the diversity factor is sufficient. You can subtract the heat load dissipated through chilled water but that is presumably also being fed by your primary chiller. I would err on the side of being conservative since cleanrooms always end up being packed to a maximum density of equipment and people during their lifespans - give yourself a 20% margin at the least. I also would not discount the impact of the filter fan unit heat dissipation.  Since you are recycling most of the air several times the joule heating from the FFUs will cause a noticeable temperature rise. Given the class of your Cleanroom the FFU density will not be as high but I would add them into the load calc.

Finally, regarding central chiller vs multiple point of use units - much easier to keep spare parts on hand and do PMs on a central chiller unit as these are usually handled by the building facilities folks. In my opinion, multiple point of use chillers are a maintenance nightmare and you often end up buying something quickly to replace or augment a failing unit. It is nearly impossible to keep multiple point of use units running consistently if you don't have dedicated maintenance staff. The exception to this is if your tools all required different or special temperatures and you end up needing multiple water-to-water heat exchangers then point of use chillers may make sense.

Best,

Dr. Michael Khbeis
Washington Nanofab Facility
University of Washington