[labnetwork] follow up to etch tool damage

Morrison, Richard H., Jr. rmorrison at draper.com
Tue Mar 24 11:59:24 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update you on what we have found out about the damage to the Substrates from the RIE tool we have. Again the tool is an Ulvac NE-550 high density RIE tool.

First of all we confirmed that we do not have an electrostatic chuck, but it is ceramic chuck with helium backside cooling and stainless lift pins going through the chuck to lift the wafer.

We tried to run Argon plasma before lifting and it did not solve the issue. We have also tried a long wait 5 minutes before we de-chuck.

The arc damage is only seen after we run a SiO2 etch using CHF3/CF4 gas ratio 55sccm/6sccm operating pressure is 2.66Pa, antenna power 500watts, RF bias at 100w.

We ran other wafers using a poly etch recipe SF6/O2 10sccm/10sccm 5Pa pressure, antenna power 800w, RF Bias 50 watts

We are still working with the manufacturer to figure this out. Any more ideas?

Rick

Draper Laboratory
Principal  Member of the Technical Staff
Group Leader Microfabrication Operations
555 Technology Square
Cambridge Ma, 02139-3563

www.draper.com
rmorrison at draper.com
W 617-258-3420
C 508-930-3461

Notice: This email and any attachments may contain proprietary (Draper non-public) and/or export-controlled information of Draper Laboratory. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this email and immediately destroy all copies of this email.