[labnetwork] LN2 vs N2 generation on site

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 27 11:54:57 EDT 2015

Rick:

This is an excellent question and I thank Tom Tribble and John Nibarger
for their initial contributions to this topic ... and others that will
undoubtedly soon follow.

First, let me get my remedial class question out of the way:  Tom,
you've got me feeling like a rank beginner.  I must confess to being
unfamiliar with the 1δ, 3δ, and 6δ notation for gas purity.  Is this the
equivalent of what I know as dot notation? In other words, so they
correspond to 1-, 3-, and 6-nines purity that is 1.0, 3.0, and 6.0 in
dot notation?  Where 99.5% purity is 2.5?  Or is δ notation something
different?

I would like to add confirmation of your "unofficial audit" that found
that 10% of your usage demands high purity.
We also have a 9000 gallon LN2 tank (which, sadly, gets filled every
fourth day).  We have two sets of vaporizers on it: the big set supplies
the copper-piped "house N2" and the smaller vaporizers that also go
through a switchable set of purifiers and then feed our stainless-piped
"UHP N2" system.  Nouse N2 usage is dominated by pump purge.  We have
totalizing flow meters on each main line and typically observe that the
UHP N2 consumption is 130-200 SLM and the house N2 consumption is
2500-2800 SLM.  In other words our total nitrogen flow is very close to
3000 SLM (or about 4.5M - 5.0M SCF per month!). In other words, our
high-purity consumption is in the range of 5-7% of our total
consumption.  Note: we actually use the house nitrogen for our SRDs ...
if we moved that intermittent high-flow to UHP N2, it probably gets us
close to, but no higher than, 10%.

My question to the labnetwork community is what level of nitrogen purity
would you want for pump purges of some of our nastier processes?  For
example, things like DCS and ammonia for LPCVD nitride?  Hydrogen,
germane, silane, plus dopants for an epitaxial process?  is 1.0 nitrogen
good enough?  The way that I look at it, that is only a 50% reduction of
oxygen as compared to what you find in air.  How about 2.0 nitrogen
(99%), good enough?

And one question to John Nibarger:  is the moisture content of your
generated nitrogen controlled by the moisture content of your feed CDA?
In other words, with your incoming CDA dew point of -40C is the dew
point of your generated nitrogen also approximately -40C? If the
incoming CDA were drier (say -55C to -60C) do you expect that your
generated nitrogen would also be that much drier?  I ask because for
pumps running corrosives such as HCl, Cl2, BCl3, and HBr it would seem
that dryness of the purge gas would be more important than the
background oxygen content.

Thank you all,

John