[labnetwork] LN2 vs N2 generation on site

Danny Pestal pestal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 31 14:00:17 EDT 2015

All,
  To add some information on liquid nitrogen boil-off / loss:

In 2007 the UC Berkeley Microlab did a survey of our nitrogen usage in
order to confirm the accuracy of our metrology before moving to a recharge
model for nitrogen use in labs not directly associated with the Microlab.
>From this analysis we discovered an 8% discrepancy between the amount of
nitrogen we were consuming versus the amount of nitrogen we were being
delivered.

This number is from a 9000 gallon tank, with purely gaseous use, that was
being drawn on at the time at about 1800 L/m.

Danny Pestal

Facilities Manager
Marvell NanoLab
University of California, Berkeley