[labnetwork] pmma cracking issue

Michael Rooks michael.rooks at yale.edu
Tue Nov 17 16:24:19 EST 2015

I have seen PMMA form stress cracks like this, but not in 200nm thick
films. It usually happens with > 1 um thick films developed in MIBK/IPA,
since MIBK swells the resist film. A simple solution is to develop in
IPA/water (3:1), preferably at a low temperature (we use 7C). You can
find a paper about IPA/water development here.
<http://nano.yale.edu/sites/default/files/files/pmma_develop_ipa_water.pdf>
This is just a guess, but maybe the pmma is a lot thicker than you think.

(Also, I suggest using hot NMP instead of hot acetone. It's a lot safer.)

Michael Rooks
Yale Institute of Nanoscience and Quantum Engineering
nano.yale.edu <http://nano.yale.edu>