[labnetwork] ANNOUNCEMENT: Lab Manager position available at the UCLA School of Engineering & Applied Sciences/California NanoSystems Institute

Stieg, Adam stieg at cnsi.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 29 19:10:06 EDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,

Greetings from UCLA and the California NanoSystems Institute (CNSI). As a new member of this network I would like to quickly introduce myself. My name is Adam Stieg and in addition to serving as Associate Director here at CNSI I have recently taken on the role of Interim Technical Director of the Integrated Systems Nanofabrication Cleanroom (ISNC). As part of an ongoing strategic planning initiative, the CNSI and Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Sciences have been working to develop an operational model for the cleanroom facilities at UCLA (ISNC and the Nanoelectronics Research Facility - NRF) that provides a world–class resource for the scientific community on campus and across Southern California.

I am writing to make all members of this network aware of an exciting new opportunity at UCLA. We are looking to identify a capable, motivated candidate to serve as Lab Manager for the NRF facility. The Job Summary can be found below and more information found by following this link: hr.mycareer.ucla.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=66823

Please feel free to distribute this information to any and all of your colleagues. Should you have any questions or require additional information please feel free to contact me via this forum or directly using the contact information below.

All the best,
Adam

Adam Z. Stieg Ph.D.                                                University of California, Los Angeles
Associate Director                                   California NanoSystems Institute
Scientific Director                                                    Nano and Pico Characterization Lab
Interim Technical Director                        Integrated Systems Nanofabrication Cleanroom
Director                                                                                             Sci|Art NanoLab
(e) stieg at cnsi.ucla.edu                                                                           310.206.2902

Job Summary: The manager of the Nanoelectronics Research Facility ("Nanolab") leads a state of the art nanofabrication facility with goals to support cutting edge research and technology innovation from academic researchers and industry members ranging from early state startups to large companies. The Manager oversees all aspects of the operation of the Nanolab facility including staffing, technical direction, safety and financial health, and budgetary decisions based on the financial structure developed by the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (HSSEAS). To achieve this mission, the Manager maintains and expands the capabilities and user base of the Nanolab, advancing its visibility as a facility recognized worldwide for the research and commercial contributions it enables.

An additional cleanroom facility at UCLA, the Integrated Systems Nanofabrication Cleanroom ("ISNC"), is housed in the California NanoSystems Institute. During the first year of this position, the Manager will direct the highly skilled and experienced staff of the ISNC and develop a strategic plan for integration of the two facilities as single, unified cleanroom with world-class research capabilities.

The Manager must communicate with high tech equipment vendors, as well as University facility and trade workers to implement and maintain complex equipment installations that meet demanding clean room specifications, and safe setups for current/voltage systems, toxic gas systems, hazardous chemical operations, etc. He or she also interfaces with faculty and trainees from multiple disciplines and Universities, as well as industry users, translating their research needs into equipment/process capabilities in a shared laboratory setting.