[labnetwork] FW: Temperature specification for facility process chilled water

Miller, Timothy J miller at purdue.edu
Wed Sep 16 09:51:07 EDT 2015

Iain,

Normally Jeff Kuhn would answer this, but he is out this week on family business.

All of the components in our PCW system are stainless steel, CPVC, or fiberglass.  We haven't really worried about corrosion preventers since the building was commissioned.

In ten years of operation we have had one problem with bacteria.  The system was dosed once with biocide, which was then removed by dilution.

No UV sterilizers or mixed beds.  If there is a catastrophic loss of water we can refill from the RO on the UPW system, which runs 1-2 MegOhmcm.  If the resistivity of the water drops below .95 Meg the system is topped off with concentrate water from the ultrafilters on the UPW system (18.2 Meg) with the excess water overflowing to drain until the resistivity returns to 1.05 Meg.  Very simple and very inexpensive.

Tim

Timothy J. Miller
Purdue University
Birck Nanotechnology Center