[labnetwork] H202 mixture chemical waste

Bill Flounders bill at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 9 16:43:01 EST 2016

Aju Jugessur,
Catalase has specifically evolved to breakdown H2O2
with exceptional efficiency. However, it will likely lose
effectiveness at low pH; it's optimum pH is 7.
Since your solution is HF, I estimate solution pH 3-4.

I'd estimate an approximate dose of NaOH to bring pH
anywhere between 5 and 8. Then add bovine catalase so
concentration is ~0.5 - 1 mg/l.

Wiki has an interesting entry on catalase.
I just learned why our hair turns gray.

-------
Can you share with the community the reason
for tartaric acid in solution 3 or any related reference ?

Sincerely,
Bill Flounders
UC Berkeley