[labnetwork] Spinner problems with a Suss Labspin 8

Lapointe, Jean Jean.Lapointe at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Feb 23 12:46:55 EST 2016

Hello,

Our Suss Microtech Labspin 8 spinner is giving problems as we observe the formation of 'cotton candy' - a hairy mess - in the bowl area when spin coating PMGI (SF15).
This cotton candy can deposit itself on part of the wafers when the cycle is complete.

We added a Venturi-type pump to increase the exhaust flow and measured 59 l/min near the bowl exhaust port using an anemometer.
We're only measuring part of the exhaust flow and the total exhaust should be well above the 50 l/min recommended by Suss.
We could use a mechanical pump to improve further increase the exhaust but a dry pump designed to handle solvent fumes may be needed.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem and was a solution found?

Thanks,
Jean

Dr Jean Lapointe
ICT portfolio, Fab2