[labnetwork] Ge in a deep Si RIE/ICP

Kevin Owen kjvowen at lnf.umich.edu
Thu Feb 25 12:10:58 EST 2016

While I don't think it has come up recently, we do allow Ge in our deep
silicon etcher. It is a "semi-clean" tool (select "non-contaminating"
metals and other materials are allowed). Generally speaking, though, Ge
will etch in fluorine chemistries just as readily as Si, so we don't
believe it will spread any contamination or change the chamber conditioning
significantly. Also I suspect micro-masking would not be a problem, since
it will etch in the same chemistry as the Si, anyway.

-Kevin