[labnetwork] Chemical Inventory Software

Matt Moneck mmoneck at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jul 19 15:26:15 EDT 2016

Hi Kolin,

Our University uses Chemtracker (https://chemtracker.org/) to monitor
chemical inventories across campus.  It is managed by our Environmental
Health & Services Department, or EHS (http://www.cmu.edu/ehs).  They provide
accounts to individual lab users so that lab managers, PIs, facility
managers, etc. can track their own inventories.  EHS can track chemicals
campus wide and look at entire building inventories to determine whether
they are approaching chemical storage limits allowed by occupancy codes.  In
my experience, it is straightforward to use, and provides a user friendly
interface for gathering information on inventories per room, per facility,
etc.  It also allows for barcode scanning, but I have not utilized this
function as of yet.

Our University also has a subscription to MSDS online
(https://www.msdsonline.com/msds-search).  When we click on a chemical in
Chemtracker, it links to MSDS Online for easy access to the MSDS of
interest.

Lastly, we use BioRAFT (http://www.bioraft.com/) to manage safety training,
lab inspections, forms, etc. for PIs, staff, students, and postdocs.  Each
PI has their own BioRAFT account for managing their students, postdocs, etc.
As a lab manager, I have an account for managing each of the users of our
facility.  It is good for managing and monitoring safety training, chemical
forms, safety forms, etc.  The interface seems to me a bit cumbersome at
times, but overall, I do like the package.  BioRAFT has been working with
our EHS Department to improve the interface and customize it to our needs,
but this is the only feedback I have on their customer service at this time.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Matt

--
Matthew T. Moneck, Ph.D.
Executive Manager, Carnegie Mellon Nanofabrication Facility