[labnetwork] Bubble defects in Ebeam evaporated gold

sunanda.babu at cense.iisc.ernet.in sunanda.babu at cense.iisc.ernet.in
Sat Jul 23 08:30:50 EDT 2016

Hi all,

We see bubble like defects in e-beam evaporated gold. One of the suspect
is the graphite crucible that we are currently using.

We see small gold nodules sticking to the walls of the graphite crucible.
These crucibles were procured from Testbourne(Glossy coated Graphite
crucible). The one we are using currently for gold evaporation is almost 2
years old. I was wondering whether there is a lifetime for these
crucibles.Do we use these crucibles until they crack? Does the glossy
coating degrade with time? Does the C start to contaminate the gold? I
plan to do an EDX analysis on this gold.

Has someone on Labnetwork faced a similar issue? Can you please advise?

thanks and best regards,
Sunanda Babu
Technology Manager(Thin Films and Dry Etch),
National Nanofabrication Centre,
Centre for Nanoscience and Engineering,
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India

believed to be clean.