[labnetwork] PDMS in sputtering tool

julia.aebersold at louisville.edu julia.aebersold at louisville.edu
Fri Jun 17 18:21:37 EDT 2016

Greetings everyone!  I had a great time at UGIM and enjoyed seeing old friends and making new acquaintances.  The University of Utah hospitality was fantastic.  I do have some questions.

1.  We have had an aluminum adhesion issue with bubbling under the deposited film.  We have had a user put their PDMS devices into our sputtering tool and have been told that outgasing PDMS could be the source of our bubbling underneath aluminum.  We do not see this behavior with other metal depositions.  Do you ban PDMS from your processing chambers?  Also, we will go ahead with decontamination using sand blasting and solvent wipe downs, but do you recommend other processes (i.e. chemical dips for parts that can be removed)?

2.  My second question revolves around organizational structure.  We currently have a Faculty Director, Cleanroom Manager (me), 3 Engineers and 1 Admin.  Structures and the number of people in facilties vary immensely due to size of the facility, but I wanted to know how many split their cleanroom manager position into a technical manager and business operations manager.  The business operations manager would primarily handle administrative tasks and rarely step foot into the cleanroom.

Cheers!

Julia Aebersold, Ph.D.

MNTC Cleanroom Manager

University of Louisville