[labnetwork] Plasma etch of chalcogenides

Matt Moneck mmoneck at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed May 18 19:03:43 EDT 2016

Hi Tzu-Min,

I suggest finding an alternative machine for this material if at all possible.  In addition, there are safety concerns with this material and a number of other chalcogenides (see more below).

We have an STS Multiplex DRIE running the Bosch process, and we have set strict protocols (similar to yours) regarding the materials that can go into the system.  That being said, there have been a few occasions where we have deviated from those protocols and regretted it.  In some instances, those deviations have led to too much polymer formation and drops in etch rate along with changes in etch profile.  These deviations were fairly easy to recover from but did lead to some down time.  In other instances, the recovery was not as easy.  There was one instance where metal masks (metals that did not easily form volatile compounds with fluorine) were used in the tool.  Ultimately, this led to resputtering of material onto the chamber sidewalls and changes in our Si etch process.  Extensive chamber cleans were necessary to remove the metal from the ceramic liners.

I don’t personally have any experience with GeSbSe, but I would have concerns about the Sb and Se components (the Ge should form a volatile compound) contaminating the chamber.  In addition, selenium hexafluoride is an acutely toxic and corrosive substance.  If you decide to use this material, I would work with your environmental health and safety group to figure out a way to properly treat the exhaust (also check whether your pump can handle corrosive exhaust).  If they don’t have any experience in this area, you may want to consult some companies that sell abatement systems (Critical Systems, Ebara, Edwards, etc.).

Best Regards,

Matt

--
Matthew T. Moneck, Ph.D.
Executive Manager, Carnegie Mellon Nanofabrication Facility