[labnetwork] Aluminimum source crucible suggestions

Steffen, Paul steffen.8 at osu.edu
Tue May 31 18:22:18 EDT 2016

Cliff,

We had problems with cracking liners and also aluminum wicking up intermetallic BN-TiB2 liners and bridging to the edge of the hearth pocket causing drops in the deposition rate due to heat conduction. We found out about an alternate approach used on an older CHA ebeam evaporator on campus with the same pocket size (15 cc): they dispensed with the liner and just made an aluminum melt directly in the pocket. The edges that touch the pocket are oxidized so you can still remove the melt slug. If you maintain the melt slug to the top of the pocket, then you don't have to worry about deposition on the sides of the pocket either. Please contact me if you would like more information.

-Paul

[The Ohio State University]
Paul Steffen
Lab Manager
Institute for Materials Research Nanotech West Lab
100 Science Village, 1381 Kinnear Road, Columbus, OH 43212
614-688-3546 Office / 614-688-3379 Fax
steffen.8 at osu.edu<mailto:steffen.8 at osu.edu> nanotech.osu.edu<http://nanotech.osu.edu>