[labnetwork] Card Readers for equipment interlocks

Klomparens, Dylan L. (Fed) dylan.klomparens at nist.gov
Tue Apr 18 10:33:28 EDT 2017

Hi Tom,

CNST has "tap in/out" system to control physical access to the cleanroom and tool interlocks. We use wall mounted Windows tablets that communicate with our lab management software, NEMO. I've attached a picture and parts list of one of the entryway tablets. I have received many positive comments about this system, the users really enjoy the convenience and speed of logging in. It's been working well for over a year now.

I enjoyed reading Mike Young's response, since we're also working on improved interlocks using the Raspberry Pi. We have a working prototype (read: kludge) for a single tool. The eventual goal will be to polish it to product level quality. What's nice about the Raspberry Pi is that it has the potential to enable us to collect data from sensors, or create a small embedded systems controller for tools. While prototyping, I've successfully programmed a Raspberry Pi to read an ID number from my government badge. I'd be interested in continuing a conversation about this off-list if anyone is interested in collaborating on Raspberry Pi interlocks.

-- Dylan Klomparens