[labnetwork] Silane Installation below grade

Paul, Jack Jack.Paul at hdrinc.com
Thu Dec 7 20:37:07 EST 2017

Michael,
The building and fire codes in your jurisdiction (Edmonton) are probably different than the International Building and Fire Codes, but the general approach of those codes (IBC and IFC) is to restrict hazardous materials in basements because a) it is extremely difficult to fight fires at basement level, and b) basements are harder to exit, and c) typically basements cannot have explosion venting (as John Schott noted they had at Stanford).

As a pyrophoric gas, silane deflagrates extremely fast – almost fast enough to be officially labeled an “explosion” and thus when it is stored indoors it is often required to have an explosion vent (this is the lightly fastened roof structure that John mentioned in his email).

The IBC and IFC restrict the quantity of any pyrophoric material allowable in a single control area (i.e. one floor, or one fire-wall isolated area of a floor) to maximum of 4 lbs or 50 cu ft in storage, and 10 cu ft in “use-closed system”.  As I noted, your jurisdiction in Canada probably has not adopted the IBC and IFC, but my guess is that whatever code applies in your municipality, it will have similar restrictions.  Additionally, it may also refer to CGA G13 (as does the IFC) for design requirements for silane systems, thus adopting CGA-13 by reference.

In short – you may be violating building and fire code restrictions by placing the silane in the basement level.  Your campus architect or fire marshal should be able to provide guidance, or alternatively a friendly architect or lab planner.

Jack Paul, RA, LEED AP BD+C
D 602.474.3940  M 602.369.2086
hdrinc.com/follow-us<http://hdrinc.com/follow-us>