[labnetwork] Sputtering targets storage

Fouad Karouta fouad.karouta at anu.edu.au
Thu Dec 14 23:25:48 EST 2017

Hi Jing,

Agree with Steve on keeping the targets. Depending on targets some do require to be kept in inert atmosphere. We had a bad experience with a Lanthanum target that was left in original package and not in N2 and after a year it degraded (became powder).

About the used targets you can dispose of them through regular way of getting rid of chemical products (depending on SDS). Of course precious materials can be recycled (I used to remove copper plate from Au and Pt by dipping it a concentrated sulfuric acid that fully consumes the copper).

Best regards,
Fouad Karouta

Manager ANFF ACT Node
Australian National Fabrication Facility
Research School of Physics and Engineering
L. Huxley Building (#56), Mills Road, Room 4.02
Australian National University
ACT 0200, Canberra, Australia
Tel: + 61 2 6125 7174
Mob: + 61 451 046 412