[labnetwork] "yellow" film for windows

Matt Moneck mmoneck at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Feb 11 15:14:59 EST 2017

Hi Dennis,

We went with a product called Amber 81 from Madico in our new cleanroom (http://www.madico.com/wp-content/uploads/Amber-81-spec-sheet.pdf).  One of our consultants, David Alessi, from Stantec chose this product after exploring a number of options.  It does come in a film that can be installed on pre-existing windows (this was done on a few windows that were missed during the lab construction).

Thus far we have been happy with it.  It is more “amber” and bit darker than the “yellow” filters we use in our older facility; although, that being said, it still allows enough higher wavelength light to pass for good visibility (transmission spikes just around 520nm).  It blocks  >99% of UV below 380nm and it blocks >90% of light in the 400-500nm range (note that while transmission is still below 10% at g-line, it does allow slightly higher transmission in this area of the spectrum as compared to the higher end of the 400-500nm range).

One additional item to note is that some of these window films can be soft and are relatively easy to cut or scratch, even after they are installed.  We are happy the Amber 81 product, but we have had a couple of occasions where scratches occurred as a result of someone leaning or bumping something against the window.

Best Regards,

Matt

--
Matthew T. Moneck, Ph.D.
Executive Manager, Carnegie Mellon Nanofabrication Facility