[labnetwork] Retirement

Weaver, John R jrweaver at purdue.edu
Tue Feb 14 16:05:33 EST 2017

Hello to all!

I am retiring from Purdue on Friday, February 17, 2017 - this Friday. I have had a very profitable and enjoyable career over the past 45 years, and am now ready to "hang it up." I will still be somewhat active in nanotechnology - I'm retaining my role as Vice President of Strategic Planning for IEST, I'm continuing to work on my Nanotechnology Facility Design book, and may do some consulting - and would therefore like to remain on the labnetwork list if that is okay.

I began my career in the semiconductor industry on RCA 4000 series integrated circuits. We were putting 8 transistors on a chip! I'm now involved in nanotechnology where we are putting billions - with a "b" - of transistors on a chip. It makes my head spin just thinking about it! I had the chance to work with many pioneers of the semiconductor industry, beginning my career in the first CMOS factory in the world. I certainly have enough memories to bore my grandchildren!

My sixth grandchild, Joshua James Smith, was born last week and retirement will allow me to spend more time with them. I will also be concentrating on my military history avocation - I have a book that is 70 % complete, a TV documentary that is underway, and am helping with a lot of 200th anniversary celebrations that will begin in 2018. I'm also still active in historical research working with National Park Service for in-service training for park rangers and volunteers. Finally, I have an active wood shop and an infinite list of furniture that my wife wants me to build - infinite because each time I complete a project she adds two more :).

I have greatly enjoyed working with all of you over the years and hope to keep in touch. I thank all of you for so freely sharing your knowledge with me and for challenging me to consider new things and continue learning. It has been a great run, but now it's time for me to do what I want, when I want. Life is good!

My new contact information is below.

John

John R. Weaver
Strategic Facilities Officer, retired :)
Birck Nanotechnology Center

The Old Fort (It's my license plate, also)
jrweaver at purdue.edu<mailto:jrweaver at purdue.edu>
old_fort1 at yahoo.com<mailto:old_fort1 at yahoo.com>