[labnetwork] PDS 2010 Labcoter 2 - Contamination Control

Tony L Olsen tony.olsen at utah.edu
Wed Jan 11 10:45:26 EST 2017

Norman

As we moved into our new cleanroom facility a few years ago, this was a topic of discussion.  Without question, the system does generate a lot of particles, both during a system/chamber clean and cleaning the thimble or cold finger after each cycle.  Although many wanted the tool in the cleanroom and there are ways to reduce the impact of the particles, we decided to install the tool in a room adjacent to the cleanroom.  We considered an isolated Class 10000 room in the cleanroom, a tent, a snorkel, and other options, but were not comfortable that any option would prevent migration of particles onto cleanroom clothing and into the rest of the cleanroom.  Since we made that decision, it has proved convenient for those lab members who only use the facility to deposit parylene and do not need full cleanroom access and safety training.  Also, a user does not need to gown up every time they want to check the status of their process cycle.

Although it is not yet active, we have placed a portable ULPA fan filter unit above the coater, believing it may resolve potential concerns about particles in the immediate workspace.

Also, we do not allow oil-based pumps in our new facility.  We made some minor modifications and switched to an Edwards nXDS15i dry scroll pump.  This is the primary scroll pump we use in our facility with spares and rebuild kits on-hand.  It has worked well.

tonyO

Tony Olsen
Nanofab Cleanroom Supervisor/Process Engineer
University of Utah
36 S Wasatch Dr, Suite 2500
Salt Lake City,  UT  84112
801-587-0651 office