[labnetwork] Nano Lab Managers: off-campus budget line support?

Gregory Cibuzar cibuzar at umn.edu
Wed Jun 14 13:01:46 EDT 2017

Hi Ian,
The short answer for the University of MN Nano Center is no, we don't have
a line item in the UM state budget.

But we did, way back in the early 90's when I started here.  These were
referred to as "state special" funding lines in the UM funding bill, and
there were a handful of labs that got this special treatment.  We all felt
pretty good about it as we felt pretty good about this as direct state
support meant the university couldn't move the money to another
department.  Then one year (1991), when the democratically-controlled state
legislature passed the university funding bill, and the republican governor
didn't like it, the governor decided to line-item veto all the state
special funding lines.  Suddenly we  became a pawn in the political
shenanigans of state government.  Not fun.  Several years after that, all
the "state special" funding lines were folded into the main university
budget bill.  That was probably a good thing.  Direct state support sounds
good, but IMO convincing your university administration to continue
supporting you is likely easier than convincing those involved in state
funding decisions.

Regards,
Greg

Greg Cibuzar