[labnetwork] inquiry about scanning kelvin probe microscopy

Stieg, Adam stieg at cnsi.ucla.edu
Mon Jun 19 22:51:49 EDT 2017

Dear Xiaojun,

I believe you will find there to be many facilities that can provide access to instruments capable of KPFM measurements, CNSI at UCLA included.

Keep in mind that while most commercial AFMs can operate in this mode there are specific considerations that must be taken into acct, namely your resolution requirements both spatially and with respect to the contact potential/surface potential difference you hope to measure. The frequency modulated mode provides better sensitivity but is not as readily available as a standard mode on many commercial AFMs. Amplitude modulation, like what is used in traditional Kelvin probe measurements, is the industry standard but does limit one's ability to resolve features smaller than 100s of nanometers. Finally, this measurement can be quite sensitive to measurement artifacts. To get reliable data you should identify a resource that not only provides the appropriate equipment but also the requisite expertise to provide training and/or analysis services.

UCLA is quite far from you, so I would recommend looking either at UIUC or ORNL as a starting point.

Best,
Adam

Adam Z. Stieg Ph.D.
Associate Director