[labnetwork] Handheld Hydrogen and Hydride (Phosphine, Germane, diborane, silane) detectors

James C. Sturm sturm at Princeton.EDU
Fri Mar 31 15:59:48 EDT 2017

I am looking for handheld detectors to "sniff" at VCR or swagelock joints for leaks of hydrogen and also for common hydrides (silane, germane, diborane, phosphine...).  The lab has a central system already, but I am looking for something to sniff at joints with after making connections and repressurizing.       (Yes we will Helium leak-check too, but this is as a followup with less likelihood of someone doing it wrong).

Many years (25?) we had a handheld unit for hydrides (about  7" x 3 " x 1", with a 4" long rubber sniffer port).   Probably made by Matheson but can't seem to find anything similar from them now (although I didn't look very hard).

Suggestions?

Thanks, Jim Sturm