[labnetwork] updated survey

Harold Gilles hgilles at wisc.edu
Thu May 18 08:56:05 EDT 2017

Good Morning Folks,
I started work at Intel as a process engineer in 1976. In those days we did not have bunny suits, we wore smocks and hair cover and gloves when needed. I retired from Intel in 2010.
We made lots of changes in this area based on need over the years. Changes were justified by data.  Defects are expensive and don’t help you make devices. There are different levels of protocol that can be applied and your lab will need to decide based on what they are making. You should also consider what you may be doing in the future. Getting folks on board with the proper level of discipline is difficult, maintaining the culture is difficult and trying to change to the next level can be an endless task. In a university setting it is even more difficult to make the changes and those that need to benefit from the change will likely be gone before they can benefit.  I would always error on the side of better control in this topic.

Hal Gilles