[labnetwork] cleanroom construction question

Paolini, Steven spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Fri Sep 22 16:51:58 EDT 2017

Rich,
  I have used both. The aluminum panels are clean through the core but have a couple of cons;  if you mount bulkhead fittings through them, you cannot torque the locknuts enough to prevent rotating when making up a fitting, this can be worked around with either using bulkhead retainers or asking a workmate to back up the fitting with a wrench. Mounting hardware for monitors and other hardware can be challenging if the base has only a small footprint but this can be dealt with by backing up the mount with larger plates of aluminum. I'm pretty sure that the Neslo system can be used in a class 100 which makes it OK for a class 1000. The cost is less but you must be cautious when cutting or drilling. I use cordless cutting tools and mist the work with water while cutting it to reduce particle generation then seal the edges of the cuts with cyanoacrylate glue. The melamine finish is very durable.
Hope this helps,
Steve
Steve Paolini
Principal Equipment Engineer
Harvard University Center for Nanoscale Systems
11 Oxford St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
617- 496- 9816
spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu