[labnetwork] Local chiller vs. facility chilled water

Dennis Schweiger schweig at umich.edu
Fri Aug 31 10:57:54 EDT 2018

Here at UofMichigan, we have two distinct process chilled water (PCW) loops
(with redundant pump capacity) that serve various sections of our
cleanroom.  Both of these PCW loops are fabricated from CPVC materials,
polished to ~1Meg-Ohm for resistivity, filled with RO water, and have UV
lamps and filters for "cleaning" them up.  Both of them reject their heat
load into the central campus chiller loop through plate/frame heat
exchangers.  The only time we'll install a local chiller (heat exchanger)
is if we need some special fluid, or much better temperature control (heat
and cool), and even then those local units will be configured to be
water-water so that their heat load goes into our PCW, and not into our
clean air-stream.

You have an interesting dilemma.... What type of capacity do you need, what
quality of water, how long do you expect to be in the same location?  All
of these questions will affect the decision.  I too would lean towards
option #2, with a redundant pump system.  It's the best long term
solution.

Dennis
Schweiger
University of Michigan/LNF