[labnetwork] Cleanroom recovery after smoke in intake

Danny Pestal pestal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 6 17:58:13 EDT 2018

During the latest round of California wildfires in our area we experienced
terrible outdoor air quality, and a strong smell of smoke in the lab during
a couple days where the wind was blowing just right (or just wrong.) Lab
members were in a panic about the destruction of their devices due to the
perceived "smoke" that must also be in the lab accompanying the smell. This
just isn't the case.  The smoke smell is caused by an aromatic organic
compound called syringol. This molecule easily makes it through our air
filtering systems, but the chunky smoke (ash) particles do not. We did
particle counts during the worst of the smell and found no increase in
particles.

Your HEPAs (and more likely your primary and secondary intake filters)
should be doing almost all the work to protect the lab in this case. I
would suggest checking on the primary filters' DP after the smoke incident.
Ours ended up getting rather occluded.

I don't expect you to need to undergo any special cleaning of the interior
of the lab.

Danny Pestal

Equipment & Facilities Manager
Marvell NanoLab