[labnetwork] Looking for a MAG.DRIVE 1000 Turbo Pump Controller for a MAG 900 CT Turbo Pump

Daniel Christensen dcchrist at wisc.edu
Mon Jun 11 09:13:05 EDT 2018

Hi Julia,

Sorry to hear about your Leybold Mag Drive turbo controller.  I have been dreading the day our (last) Mag drive 1000 dies.  I acquired one as backup a few years ago but the drive in use died and was not able to be repaired.  So we are down to our last one and its currently in use.

I  have spent some time looking at the control signals and the good news is that I think you can interface a different pump controller.  We were under the impression for a long time that the interface was something special and required a $100k STS retrofit (that included the new turbo and controller).  I've gotten as far as understanding the Leybold interface and making some notes on how I think it operates.  I have been planning on figuring out how to install a replacement controller that can utilize the existing STS interface signals but I haven't started that.

If you get to the place where you just have to put on a different turbo, I would be happy to share what I've generated.

Good luck!

Dan C
Univ of WI-Madison