[labnetwork] Mixing Fluorine and Chlorine Chemistries

James P McVittie mcvittie at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 8 18:58:04 EST 2018

Ron,

1. F in an etch chamber from previous etch runs can slow down a Cl2 etching process. This is of most concern to III-V users. So for a well-controlled Cl2 etch process you want to get all the F based polymers out of the chamber.

2. In Poly Si etching C2F6, CF4 or NF3 are often used to remove surface oxides before start the HBr / Cl2 Si etch.

3. " Small amounts of CF4 (5-10 sccm) are added to the standard BCl3/Cl2/N2 process for residue removal.  In some cases (particularly for copper residue), CF4 appears to widen the process window for residue control.CF4 typically helps to eliminate open field residue, but there have been cases where CF4 helped with dense area residue as well.  Since the addition of another gas introduces more variables to the process, the use ofCF4 should be minimized."  From old AMT Metal (Al)  Etch Process Manual

 In the Stanford Nanofabrication Facility (SNF) we have F containing gases in all our Cl2 etchers. Our Cl2 Si etchers have CF4 and C2F6. Our ICP metal etcher has CF4, and Our III-V etcher has SF6.

James (Jim) McVittie, Ph.D.

Senior Research Engineer

Electrical Engineering

Stanford University