[labnetwork] Cleanroom Lab Coats

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Fri Oct 12 11:10:10 EDT 2018

Dear Peter --

At the Stanford Nanofab, we do the same as at Harvard.  Indeed, I
believe that most university cleanrooms where full bunnysuit protocols
are observed will do the same.

At SNF, we have three different kinds of dress protocols.  The main
cleanroom is the full, standard cleanroom suit, where researchers don
full chemical aprons, gloves, and face shields over safety glasses when
working with chemicals at wet stations. We have several rooms where the
cleanliness standard is a dust-free lab coat (plus bouffant, booties,
and cleanroom gloves).  Like the cleanroom suits, the dust-free coat is
not designed for chemical protection - researchers don acid gear when
working with chemicals at the wet stations.  We have one room with
standard fume hoods - it is keycard access only to researchers who
undergo additional training.  This is not a cleanroom and in addition to
safety glasses, researchers wear the standard 100% cotton lab coats
which offers better protection than polymer-based dress - basically, the
same protocols as you would use in a standard research chemistry lab.

While it is more inconvenient to have to don chemical protection over
clean dress, I think it is actually better for lab practices.  First, it
helps isolate chemical residues because small splashes and spray will
get on gloves and sleeves and spread throughout the lab, wherever the
researchers go.  (I've worked in industry labs where corroded computer
keyboards and landline phones near wet stations were the norm.)  Second,
by donning acid gear, people have to consciously recognize they are
working with hazardous materials - and that mental preparedness is
important, at least with students, who often take their well-being for
granted.

The alternative is cleanroom grade Nomex, which at nearly $1K/suit, is
cost prohibitive for university cleanrooms and, I suspect, uncomfortably
hot to wear....

Mary

__

Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.