[labnetwork] Getting files off older computers

Brent Gila bgila at ufl.edu
Mon Sep 10 09:09:02 EDT 2018

Hello Kevin,

We have the same issues there at UF.  We added a software called Panda
USB Vaccine to help with some of the USB virus infections and we keep
the off line computers virus definitions up to date with periodic manual
updates.  Windows Essentials can be updated from a USB drive, so we
download the update and manually do this.  I'm sure whatever virus
protection you are using has a manual drive update option so the
computer does not have to be online.  We went through the facility owned
USB drive option and users did exactly as you described.

Another solution is to have a university secured computer as an
interface between the instrument and the university's network.  This
takes up a lot more space and some money, but it is effective for file
transfer.  We did this with our Nano CT system since the file sizes are
in the GB range and we have so many people using it.  But this is the
only instrument that we applied this solution.

Best Regards,
Brent

--
Brent P. Gila, PhD.