[labnetwork] Getting files off older computers

Michael Rooks michael.rooks at yale.edu
Mon Sep 10 14:26:16 EDT 2018

We have an internal lab network for old PCs, and a file server with two
ethernet ports- one looking in, and the other looking out. Lab users
dump their data, images, etc on the file server, and then later reach
over to retrieve their stuff. In a few cases we have an even simpler
setup: wire up a new Windows box next to the old one, then use the new
box as the Z: drive for the old WinXP instrument. The user can then turn
to the new box to transfer files to network storage. That means the new
box must have two ports. We've been using little Intex Nuc boxes, since
they are cheap and come with one wireless and one wired port. We use the
wired ethernet for the local connection, and the wireless for connection
to the campus network.

It's difficult to shut off the USB ports, since they are used for the
keyboards and mice. We put stickers over the unused USB ports, but
sometimes people use them anyway. Short of gluing the connectors I don't
have any good ideas about how to ban USB sticks.

Michael Rooks
Yale Institute of Nanoscience and Quantum Engineering
nano.yale.edu <http://nano.yale.edu>