[labnetwork] Boat advice for semiconductor anneals

Martin,Michael David michael.martin at louisville.edu
Mon Apr 29 10:06:52 EDT 2019

Hi all,
   At U of L, we are considering switching to a non-quartz boat for our mixed use anneal furnace. In an effort to improve our semiconductor processing, we thought it might be better to have boats that do not let metal contamination diffuse so readily from the tube to the wafers.  Initially, we thought that a nitride coated SiO2 would be ideal as the silicon nitride would act as a diffusion barrier. However, after spending some time looking on-line it looks like there are boats in SiC, Saphire, and silicon but I don't see any mention of SiN coated oxide.  Do you have any recommendations for boat options in a mixed use anneal furnace?  Eventually, I suppose we will just have to put in a semiconductor only anneal furnace.

Regards,
   Michael