[labnetwork] Blistering of metal film stack on PMMA

Nathan Nelson - Fitzpatrick nnelsonfitzpatrick at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Feb 1 09:31:12 EST 2019

Hi Savitha,

I have seen and experienced this issue before.  My understanding is that the PMMA is blistering due to electrons impinging on your sample, over-dosing the PMMA.  When I experienced this issue on my tool I did some searching online and found this report that correlated carbon in the Au melt to an increased current of electrons scattering off of the melt and into the sample.

http://www.skyworksinc.com/downloads/press_room/published_articles/GaAs_Mantech_052010_6.pdf

In my case I supposed that the likely source of the carbon was from the FABMATE crucible liner our lab was using for our Gold evaporation process.  The liner’s glassy finish appeared to be wearing down due to handling and was likely leaving a small amount of carbon dust on the melt every time it was added or removed from our evaporator.

I was able to fix our issue by taking the gold melt out of our old FABMATE liner, cleaning the carbon dust off of the ingot with some IPA and putting it back in a new FABMATE liner.  Once the ingot was cleaned and put into a new liner the surface of the melt looked appreciably different.  When contaminated with carbon it appeared to have a “skin” on the top of the melt, while the clean melt has a uniform “liquid-like” appearance.

FYI:  I have recently moved on to a Molybdenum liner as described in this Materion report, the downside with this is that the Gold wets the liner surface and will likely be difficult to reclaim if/when I have to do so.

https://materion.com/-/media/files/advanced-materials-group/me/technicalpapers/developingafundamentalunderstandingofgoldspitting.pdf?la=en&hash=502E7BF53ECF2EE5923F4B5F7488A78B3B2ED05F

Feel free to reach out if you want to discuss this problem further.

Best regards,
  -Nathan

--
Nathan Nelson-Fitzpatrick  PhD
Nanofabrication Process & Characterization Engineering Manager

[/Users/nnelsonf/Desktop/university-of-waterloo-logo-esig.png]