[labnetwork] Metallization on rough ceramic substrates

Mark K Mondol mondol at mit.edu
Fri Jan 4 16:04:01 EST 2019

I agree with Noah Clay, he identifies the issues correctly, in my view.

I would add that a general rule of thumb for liftoff is to spin resist
about 3X thicker than the metal layer you want to liftoff.

Regards,

Mark K Mondol

On 1/4/2019 2:16 PM, Noah Clay wrote:
> Hello Adithi,
>
> As you know, ceramics can be quite porous and metal adhesion can be
> diminished by surface/internally adsorbed water, organics, etc.
> Therefore, you may consider deep solvent cleaning, other surface
> treatments as appropriate (e.g., plasma) for your material and a
> lengthy dehydration bake prior to resist application.  If pre-resist
> cleaning proves ineffective, then after resist development, you may
> consider O2 plasma or, if available, in-situ ion bombardment.  Lastly,
> given the rough topography of your substrate, there may be undeveloped
> or underexposed pockets of resist on the substrate, which necessitate
> optimizing bake, exposure and develop conditions.
>
> As for HMDS (mainly used for Si), without knowing the type of ceramic
> you’re using, I can’t say that it will be effective as an adhesion
> promoter.  I very humbly/respectfully disagree with previous comments
> that HMDS is used mostly for etching, but agree that to facilitate
> liftoff, a relatively thick LOR layer should be spun and baked before
> application of imaging resist.
>
> Best,
> Noah Clay
> /
> /
> /Singh Center for Nanotechnology /
> /University of Pennsylvania /
> /Philadelphia, PA/
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 4, 2019, at 08:51, Hitesh Kamble <hit.kamble at gmail.com
> <mailto:hit.kamble at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Hello Adithi,
>>  In case of HMDS ,it will improve adhesion but resists will not
>> remove easily from surafce.HMDS is mostly use in etching. Since
>> you're having rough surface, Instead of HMDS use LOR 3B or say
>> liftOFF resists which helps to improve liftoff process.
>> Also for 250nm metallization you need more than 2um thick resists.
>>
>> We did not do this on ceramic samples exactly but successfully did
>> liftoff on etched/textured glass and etched samples(roughness more
>> than~400nm).
>> Following are my suggestions:
>> -Time Interval between litho and deposition should be lowest as possible
>> - Dehydration at higher temp and for longer time.
>> -LOR 3B coating at lower rpm and gradually increase rpm.
>> -Keep sample in Remover PG and heat at 80C for 5min or more if metal
>> not lifted,(Sonication not recquired in most cases)
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Hitesh Kamble
>> IITBNF-IIT Bombay
>>

>> On Fri 4 Jan, 2019, 6:08 PM ADITHI U <uadithi at iisc.ac.in
>> <mailto:uadithi at iisc.ac.in> wrote:
>>
>>     Dear All,
>>

>>           We are having difficulties in doing metal(Ti/Pt) lift
>>     off on ceramic substrates. Does any of you have experience on
>>     fabricating metal patterns on the rough Ceramic Substrates. Below
>>     are the details of the process done.
>>

>>        The roughness of the ceramic substrates were approximately
>>     400nm. We had used HMDS as adhesion promoter for lithography, the
> [...]

Mark K Mondol
Assistant Director NanoStructures Laboratory
And
Facility Manager
Scanning Electron Beam Lithography Facility
Bldg 36  Room 229
www.rle.mit.edu/sebl
mondol at mit.edu
office - 617-253-9617