[labnetwork] STS DRIE Multiplex Lip Seal failures

Kevin Owen kjvowen at lnf.umich.edu
Thu Mar 7 13:44:33 EST 2019

We don't have lip seals on our SPTS systems, but I do agree that Kalrez is
the way to go for o-rings. All of the source o-rings for the Pegasus were
Kalrez to begin with. Well, except for a couple that were called out in the
BOM as Kalrez but weren't... this was remedied. I also replaced our lid
seals with Kalrez about a year ago and it was definitely a Good Decision.

I wound up going with the 9300 series for the Bosch process equipment. Used
to source them through Bay Seal, who was even able to make the custom size
for the lid seal (it's not actually a 280, just seems like it should be),
without the crazy tooling cost for most custom sizes. Recently, they
suggested I find a distributor closer to my area, and I went with James
Walker in Chicago, which seemed to work well for my last order.

The one case I've found where this did not work as expected was the lid
o-ring in our APS tool. I think it is because we tend to excessively
over-clean the chamber to accommodate some "dirtier" processes, the Kalrez
o-ring actually got substantially eaten away after only about 6 months. I
wonder if this could also be related to some of the lip seal issues (not
saying they didn't switch to a "cheaper" material also), but it might be
that over-using O2 cleans could shorten the life further like it did to my
o-ring.

-Kevin

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 7:51 PM Paolini, Steven <spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu>
wrote:

> My $0.02,
>
> Black marks on the back of a wafer are not normal. I agree that there must
> have been a material change by the supplier perhaps to “value engineer”
> there consumables. What IS normal is O-rings growing a black crud on their
> surfaces. This is simply O2 attacking organics regardless of the O-rings
> being out of the “ line of sight” of the plasma. A downstream etcher (two
> 90 degree gas shifts), will experience the same effect at a slower rate. We
> inspect them and if not cracked, we clean them up until the wipes show
> minimum crud and put them back in for more service.
>
> Oh yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with Julia that we should not forget that
> the LUR with backside He is the *overall *LUR of the chamber and you
> could be mislead by some other fine leak not associated with the He seal.
>

> Steve Paolini
>
> Principal Equipment Engineer
>
> Harvard University Center for Nanoscale Systems
>
> 11 Oxford St.
>
> Cambridge, MA 02138
>
> 617- 496- 9816
>
> spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
>
> www.cns.fas.harvard.edu

Kevin Owen
Senior Engineer in Research
Operations Group, Lurie Nanofabrication Facility
University of Michigan
(734) 545-4014