[labnetwork] VMS and/or Compaq/DEC experts

P. Scott Harris psharris at trilicium.ca
Mon Mar 11 22:14:54 EDT 2019

Hi Aimee,

We actually have done the PC upgrades that Matt references that replace DEC
PDP-11s running RSX-11 with PCs.  We haven't actually done the equivalent for
Alpha machines running OpenVMS but a few of the simple things to try first might
be :

- replace SCSI drives, assuming SCSI is being used, with some sort of
SCSI-to-SATA or SCSI-to-SD adapter and new drive hardware (Google will find
these pretty quickly although you will have to pay attention the the SCSI
connectors and the generation of SCSI interface being used)
- replace the actual DEC Alpha processor hardware with an emulation such as
EmuVM and AlphaVM-Pro which uses emulated disks and tape drives. I have never
tried it so I can't make a recommendation one way or the other but it would
likely be a good place to start

The actual connection to the E-beam hardware might be tricky. We have done
upgrades for XLS steppers that replace the Sparcstation and SunOS with an
emulation but the hardware interface in that case is a fairly basic ethernet
network connection. If it's a custom hardware interface you may have to stick
with the existing Alpha computer hardware.

If you can actually run an emulation, the network backup file that you mention
might serve as a suitable disk image.  We should be able to read your SCSI drive
(assuming that's what is being used) and generate a binary file image for use in
an emulation if your network backup is unsuitable. If you wanted to pursue this
further, or have further questions, then please let me know.

Best regards
P. Scott Harris, P.Eng.
H&L Associates

On 2019-03-11 3:56 p.m., Matt Pace wrote:
> Web Bug from
> https://share.polymail.io/v2/z/a/NWM4NmJjY2E1Njkx/haT1u4yBZCGDphdnoBXbKYR_lP5OZeV9ve3et6sU9tAsJmQRYwCQcIp6E018H7EsJdw_BXU-RoX-pg5rh4QTQS4IZuUC0s4m9EZJAVY8ei7Wl_djvYgoyL25HqWHOwX56nRvoj7YeuA9f6V2UA6w1EQ=.png
>
> Hi Aimee,
>
> Maybe try Mitch at Keyways - he did a lot of work for us as we transitioned
> from the old DEC PDP 11 computers to the PC upgrades on the GCA Steppers some
> time ago.
>
> All the best,
> Matt
>
> ---
>
> Matt Pace
>
> 3c Technical
>
> matt at 3ctechnical.com <mailto:matt at 3ctechnical.com>
>
> www.3ctechnical.com <http://www.3ctechnical.com/>
>
> 480-963-4559 voice
>

> On Mon, Mar 11th, 2019 at 7:3 AM, "Price, Aimee" <price.798 at osu.edu> wrote:
>
>     All,
>
>     Is anyone out there, or do you know anyone/have a source who is, a VMS
>     and/or Compaq(HP or DEC) expert?  I’m looking for a consultant, either on
>     the phone or preferably in person.
>
>     I have an Compaq/DEC Alpha XP900 running open VMS for my Raith
>     (Leica/Vistec) EBPG5000 ebeam lithography tool.  One of the two hard disks
>     failed and 3 tape drives have failed.   We have another tape drive on order …
>
>     I have a replacement hard disk and backup tapes (though fewer now after
>     the failed tape drives destroyed two) and a backup file on our network,
>     which can be moved to the system drive.  However, I’m running up against
>     my lack of VMS knowledge.
>
>     For completeness, there is also a CD-ROM drive and a floppy.  We are
>     running Open VMS 7.2.
>
>     If anyone has a contact or would be interested on working on something
>     like this, please let me know.  Alternatively, if anyone has a contact
>     that can repair or recover hard disks of this type, I would be more than
>     appreciative.
>
>     Thanks much,
>
>     Aimee Bross Price
>
>     Sr. Research Associate