[labnetwork] Gold Deposition over Chrome

Felix Lu fplu at uchicago.edu
Fri May 31 10:03:24 EDT 2019

Jim – How are you patterning the chrome? I would suspect that you have a thin layer of chrome in the “blanked” areas.

Felix P. Lu, Ph.D.
Director of Corporate Engagement

Institute for Molecular Engineering
The University of Chicago
Eckhardt Research Center
5640 S. Ellis Ave., Room ACC104
Chicago, IL 60637

773.834.5063 office

fplu at uchicago.edu<mailto:fplu at uchicago.edu> | ime.uchicago.edu<http://ime.uchicago.edu/>

From: <labnetwork-bounces at mtl.mit.edu> on behalf of Jim Carroll <jim at photomaskportal.com>
Date: Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 6:45 PM
To: "labnetwork at mtl.mit.edu" <labnetwork at mtl.mit.edu>
Subject: [labnetwork] Gold Deposition over Chrome

Dear LabNetwork colleagues,

We are trying to add a thin film of gold over patterned chrome on a standard photomask using e-beam evaporation.  We want the gold to preferentially adhere to the chrome while lifting off the glass.

After a few tests, it appears that the gold sticks equally well to both the glass and chrome.  Ultrasonic agitation and swabbing do not selectively remove the gold from the glass while leaving it on the chrome.  Eventually, after enough pressure is applied with a swab, the gold releases from both the glass and chrome.

Does anyone have a suggested approach?

Thanks,
Jim Carroll
PhotomaskPORTAL