[labnetwork] Gold Deposition over Chrome

N P VAMSI KRISHNA vamsinittala at gmail.com
Fri May 31 12:44:22 EDT 2019

Hi Jim,
I think there is an adhesion issue of the patterned chrome and gold. I
would try giving a brief Argon or Oxygen plasma treatment before the gold
evaporation. This will improve the adhesion of Cr and Au. However, you
might need to sonicate a bit longer for the lift-off.

I am not very sure, but I guess Argon plasma will increase roughness and
help you in faster lift-off.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Vamsi

*N.P. Vamsi Krishna*

Postdoctoral Fellow

Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering
The University of Chicago
Chicago, IL  60637

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 10:47 AM Felix Lu <fplu at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Jim – How are you patterning the chrome? I would suspect that you have a
> thin layer of chrome in the “blanked” areas.

> Felix P. Lu, Ph.D.
>
> Director of Corporate Engagement
>

> Institute for Molecular Engineering
>
> The University of Chicago
>
> Eckhardt Research Center
>
> 5640 S. Ellis Ave., Room ACC104
>
> Chicago, IL 60637
>

> 773.834.5063 office
>

> fplu at uchicago.edu | ime.uchicago.edu
>

> *From: *<labnetwork-bounces at mtl.mit.edu> on behalf of Jim Carroll <
> jim at photomaskportal.com>
> *Date: *Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 6:45 PM
> *To: *"labnetwork at mtl.mit.edu" <labnetwork at mtl.mit.edu>
> *Subject: *[labnetwork] Gold Deposition over Chrome
>

> Dear LabNetwork colleagues,
>

> We are trying to add a thin film of gold over patterned chrome on a
> standard photomask using e-beam evaporation.  We want the gold to
> preferentially adhere to the chrome while lifting off the glass.
>

> After a few tests, it appears that the gold sticks equally well to both
> the glass and chrome.  Ultrasonic agitation and swabbing do not selectively
> remove the gold from the glass while leaving it on the chrome.  Eventually,
> after enough pressure is applied with a swab, the gold releases from both
> the glass and chrome.
>

> Does anyone have a suggested approach?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jim Carroll
> *PhotomaskPORTAL*
>
> *We help you make masks*
> (415) 448-6275
>
> ·         [image: Image removed by sender.]
> <http://www.photomaskportal.com>

Thanks & Best Regards,

*N.P.Vamsi Krishna *
*Postdoctoral Researcher*