[labnetwork] Outgassing and evaporation of Barium source in MBE

Hathaway, Malcolm R hathaway at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 21 15:09:23 EST 2019

Hi Saba,

I checked with my MBE guy, and he offered the following:

"I've used barium quite a bit. I definitely recommend purchasing dendritic barium sealed in a glass ampoule instead of packed with oil and then minimize exposure to oxygen and water. We would try to load it right before pumping down. Some suppliers can even load the Ba into a customer supplied crucible for you under argon. I've seen some reports of pre-melting the Ba source in a crucible under inert atmosphere to provide a uniform surface but that takes a bit more effort."

I'll forward you his e-ddress in a PM.

Mac
Harvard CNS