[labnetwork] Fwd: Question about the legality of caps

Ian Harvey iharvey at princeton.edu
Sun Sep 29 17:26:45 EDT 2019

Hi Milan,

To piggyback on Noah’s note, the other key term is “subsidy”.  The point of all the legal maneuvering is to keep the federal government research grants from subsidizing others’ research activities. From the A-21 circular:

 "Each institution's F&A cost rate process must be appropriately designed to ensure that Federal sponsors do not in any way subsidize the F&A costs of other sponsors, specifically activities sponsored by industry and foreign governments."

**However, it is perfectly ok for federal research grants to be subsidized by the institution.**

In other words, if you set your rates (including ubiquitous caps) in such a way that it is clear the deficit between lab expenses and revenue is covered by the institutional subsidies, then you are good with the Feds even while you get deeper under scrutiny from the accountants within your own institution who wonder why it is so expensive to operate such facilities.

yes, good luck,

—Ian Harvey
Princeton University

Begin forwarded message: