[labnetwork] GCA/MANN 3600F Pattern Generator support

Greg Mullins gregmullins at berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 7 20:00:42 EST 2020

Hi Mike and Randy,
I’d also like to toss in my two cents regarding the age of these systems
and the condition  of the power supplies in each chassis.

When you check them, check for voltage level and condition.  Aging power
supplies can begin to show drop offs in linear supplies, becoming unable to
sustain a consistent voltage due to dry capacitors.  Check the voltage with
an oscilloscope in AC mode for your best visual on this.

G~

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 4:21 PM Randy Ellsworth <randyellsworth18 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Nice to meet you!
>
> Like Shawn says we’ve very familiar with the GCA steppers, but have very
> limited experience with PG’s. Some things like stages and the laser are the
> same and we could potentially help you out.
>
> It would be helpful if you can measure the laser power to see if that
> confirms your suspicions about losing laser counts. A weak laser could
> definitely cause trouble like you’ve described.
>
> Do you have a meter to measure the power output of the He-Ne laser?
>
> We can lend you our meter and send it to you quickly if you provide a
> FedEx number.
>
> Reseating the interface and servo chassis PCB’s can sometimes resolve
> laser count issues.
>

> Take Care,
>
> Randy Ellsworth
> CEO/Owner
> Stepper Care Services, Inc
> (512)913-2781
>
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 11:10 AM Shawn Wright <wrightsh at lnf.umich.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> You could contact Randy Ellsworth <rellsworth at austin.rr.com> with
>> Stepper Care Services.  We have a service contract with them for our
>> AutoStep 200 and they have a lot of experience with these tools, and have
>> parts.  They even got us back in tip-top shape after a pretty serious flood
>> that filled up the environmental chambers HEPA filter and rained over the
>> whole system.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shawn Wright
>> Lead Research Engineer
>> Lurie Nanofabrication Facility
>> University of Michigan
>>

>> On Dec 4, 2020, at 9:31 AM, Michael Call <michael.call at maine.edu> wrote:
>>
>> We have an issue with "Focus Signal lost" and "time out" errors on our
>> pattern generator.  Sometimes the column will attempt to focus off of the
>> glass plate(laser system losing counts?).  I've cleaned and oiled the
>> stages, changed plates and all of the usual, but with no luck.  I know that
>> Bob Scruton passed away a few years ago.  Has anyone taken over the service
>> of these machines?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Mike Call
>> Research Engineer
>> University of Maine
>> Frontier Institute for Research in Sensor Technologies (FIRST)
>> Coordinated Research entities Cleanroom
>> ESRB Barrows Hall room 294
>> 207-581-3382
>> <image.png>