[labnetwork] Question about cleanroom mask policies

Jörg Hübner jhub at dtu.dk
Thu Dec 17 11:21:32 EST 2020

Hi
At DTU Nanolab we do not allow user provided masks in the cleanroom due to the fear of particle contamination. Users have to wear a provided mask preferably before entering the corridor leading to gowning. Inside gowning a max of two persons is allowed. The combination of masks, high airflow and efficient HEPA filtering (quasi laminar air velocity is around 0.5 m/s downward) reduces the risk of infection to  very unlikely.
We have also studied the literature and have also found that single viruses do not survive ( i.e. dry out immediately) if not adsorbed to a particle or droplet. Hence HEPA filters are extremely efficient and I fully agree that the cleanroom is probably one of the safest places to be regarding infection. No regular tests of staff or users are carried out.
We have been running the cleanroom with a maximum of 50 persons inside (around 1300m2 of cleanroom) since May without infection event.
We have had one staff member, who was subsequently tested positive, working inside the cleanroom (the staff member worked possibly several days in the cleanroom while infected until he went home with syptoms and got tested). All rules  and regulations were followed (mask, distancing), nobody else got infected. This is one data point and doesn’t allow any conclusions but still it is worth mentioning (the staff member had relatively mild symptoms and was back at work after two weeks).

Distancing is a problem especially in training situations but here the high air velocity in combination with masks is helping us enormously. We are currently introducing headset intercoms (inspired by Nanolab NL in Twente, NL) for training situations. This allows training situations without raising the voice in noisy environments thereby preventing unnecessary possible emission of viruses as well as proper distance. Of course proper hygiene regarding the headsets is a must.

Best
    Jørg

Jörg Hübner, Ph.D.

Director

DTU Nanolab

National Centre for Nano Fabrication and Characterization

Technical University of Denmark
DTU Nanolab

National Centre for Nano Fabrication and Characterization

Ørsteds Place

Building 347, Room 178

2800 Kgs. Lyngby
Denmark