[labnetwork] LED Lights for Lithography

martin at algoshift.com martin at algoshift.com
Sun Feb 23 11:55:53 EST 2020

> I have to say that I was very interested in responding to your first email, as I am looking for ways to eliminate the use of mercury arc lamps to LEDs....

I could work on that problem as well.  It's a worthy cause, on more than
one front.

In general terms, I am currently working on a range of scientific
applications of advanced LED technology.  I thought illumination of
lithography environments (the rooms), critical as it is, is a perfect
fit for this focus.  You have identified another area that would warrant
attention.

I'm happy to look into it and do the necessary research and prototyping.
 All I need is specifications.  If anyone can help with that I'll take
it from there.

Thank you,

-Martin

---

On 2020-02-23 04:37, Mario Portillo wrote:

> [...]
>>> phosphor coating are the most readily available high efficiency units
>>> in the market.  Frankly, if high light output at the lowest possible
>>> cost is a requirement it is hard to beat them with a combination of
>>> red and green LEDs.  That said, depending on how they are selected, a
>>> significant portion of the spectral power they emit will have to be
>>> converted into heat at a filter or bad things will happen in the lab.
>>>
>>> The third option involves selecting very warm white LEDs that have
>>> almost no blue spike.  This means less heating of the filter element
>>> and, likely, longer life.  This could be an interesting solution.
>>>
>>> Plastic film based filters degrade over time, particularly if there's
>>> a lot of heating due to having too much energy in the undesirable
>>> portion of the spectrum.  This is where thin film deposition
>>> (sputtering?) could exhibit far more favorable band-pass
>>> characteristics as long a longevity.  Cost, of course, could be an
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> I am very familiar with material out-gassing issues in the context of
>>> aerospace applications.  Not so for lab usage.  Understanding where
>>> these limits might lie would be very useful.  The perfectionist in me
>>> wants to design a T5-class 4 ft LED light fully encased and
>>> appropriately sealed in a durable glass tube that is both internally
>>> and externally coated to not pass light above 500 nm.  At the same
>>> time, I do understand that a real solution has to fit a budget as well
>>> as technical specifications.  Not sure where that intersection lies
>>> but I am aware of it.
>>>
>>> I introduced a term above that might not be familiar to everyone here;
>>> observer metamerism.  This is a by-product of the spectral power
>>> distributions of light, reflection and the human vision system
>>> interacting in such a way that two colors that are different might
>>> appear the same (or, in general, you have trouble discerning colors
>>> that are easy to see under different conditions).  If you've ever
>>> tried to determine if a steak is well done under a typical white LED
>>> light and could not, that's observer metamerism.  Mitigation requires
>>> "filling in" the emitted spectra in areas relevant to the task at
>>> hand.
>>>
>>> This is why I asked myself this question in the red+green LED case.
>>> Both of these have narrow emission spectra.  Our brains can function
>>> with this kind of light and, yes, we will see it as yellow.  However,
>>> any colors in the portion of the visible spectrum lacking energy will
>>> become challenging to deal with.  It's like being color blind.  Given
>>> that lithography labs are already built to work with yellow light, I
>>> find myself wondering how much of a problem, if any, might be posed by
>>> observer metamerism in the case of the proposed red+green LED
>>> solution.
>>>
>>> I think that's the basics at this point.  I would appreciate any and
>>> all feedback, questions and even a good shove in the right direction.

Links:
------
[1] https://yho.com/footer0