[labnetwork] Deep Reactive Ion Etch Problems

Matthew Moneck mmoneck at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jul 27 16:11:38 EDT 2020

Hi Pallavi,

What is the make and model of your DRIE?  Also, what is the mask you are using for the etch?

The grass is typically a result of micromasking that occurs when either the chamber needs to be conditioned (i.e. you have an abundance of polymer in the chamber) or when you have an etch mask that re-sputters onto the wafer surface.  If it is due to the chamber conditions, you will need to perform a cleaning followed by a conditioning process.  The vendor will typically have a recommended procedure.  There are other potential causes too, but the chamber conditions and/or re-sputtering are the two most common in my experience.

Best Regards,

Matt

--
Matthew T. Moneck, Ph.D
Executive Manager, Claire & John Bertucci Nanotechnology Laboratory