[labnetwork] Lab operations with COVID-19 considerations

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 10 13:19:51 EDT 2020

Dear all-

The Bay area is a hot spot for COVID-19, and recent events have prompted
Stanford to cancel classes, seminars, and large gatherings for the next
several weeks.  While those who can are encouraged to work from home,
regular university research and administrative operations continue, like
our Nanofab.    I expect that many of you are in the same boat or are
heading this way as well.   Presuming all our staff and researchers
observe the standard precautions (conscientious hygiene practices,
self-quarantine for illness or suspected exposure), what other kinds of
considerations or precautions should we take into account for lab
operations?   JD and I have exchanged emails and decided to draw on the
collective wisdom of our community by soliciting your inputs.  Some of
our initial thoughts:

1.  Social distancing.  We think the cleanroom environment, with laminar
flow and lab dress, are in good keeping with hygiene practices.
Researchers wear safety glasses, gloves, and in many cases, face masks,
which minimizes person-to-person contamination.  Any aerosols or dried
aerosol particles from coughing or sneezing should be swept downward and
away with laminar flow.  Equipment is large, so most people are not
likely to be working within the recommended 6' of social distance of
each other.  In general, it seems a cleanroom fab would be one of the
better places to be working during these times. Nonetheless, at Stanford
we're allowing staff who can to take days to work from home (great time
to catch up on documentation!) and have put a hold on meeting and
conference planning.

2.  Contaminated surfaces.  70% alcohol available at PPE stations and in
the lab to encourage people to wipe down shared items (face shields,
keyboards).  Bagging suits so they don't touch each other.  Yet more
reminders to change gloves frequently.

3.  Continuity plan. We have also been asked to provide the University
with our "continuity plan" describing what, if anything, would be needed
to protect research assets beyond power and campus utilities.  For us, I
think this would be basically a variation on our Winter Closure
practices. The main difference would be that our lab community would
have perhaps 24 hours versus the usual several months' notice; we should
provide a heads-up to researchers so they can plan accordingly.

Otherwise, it's business as usual in terms of meeting and training
researchers, meeting with faculty, staff meetings, etc. Still, these are
serious times.  We want to hope for the best (business as usual) and yet
be prepared for the worst.  JD and I would welcome your thoughts.

Thanks, all -

Mary

--
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.