[labnetwork] Hazard due to x-ray production in e-beam evaporators?

Sweeney, John john_sweeney at harvard.edu
Thu May 28 15:26:01 EDT 2020

Aaron,
I have asked your question to one of Harvard’s EHS health physicist’s and she gave the following answer:

That's a good question and I'm glad people are thinking about this. So the general answer to this safety concern is that we can tell the dose rate outside an electron beam device is low and at a safe level because we measure it. You can take a look at the answer given by the Health Physics Society: https://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q12299.html. Basically calculating the dose rate from an electron beam is very difficult because of differences in geometry, scatter, filtration, distance, interaction probabilities, etc, so the dose rate is almost always measured empirically. Also very little empirical data on x-ray dose below 50kV exists because it is too low for traditional x-ray applications (medical x-rays and other imaging) plus it's so low that detector efficiency drops. I survey electron microscopes every two years to check for leaks; so far I've never had a measurement above background although ~15 years ago there was one leak detected from a faulty gamma camera.

What we can do is look up the mass attenuation coefficients from the NIST website (https://www.nist.gov/pml/x-ray-mass-attenuation-coefficients) to get an idea of the x-ray attenuation through a glass viewport. Let's assume the max 10kV electron beam translates into a 10kVp x-ray source (untrue, but it's the most conservative estimate). The average energy of a typical x-ray source is 1/3 of the peak voltage, or 3.3kV.  The mass attenuation coefficient for 3.3 kV x-rays for borosilicate glass is roughly 400. If the glass is 0.25cm thick and its density is 2.23 g/cm^3 (given in NIST table 2), then the intensity drop from this shielding is given by:
  I/Io = e^(-u/p*p*x) = 1.4*10^-97
So the penetration of 3.3kV x-rays through .25cm glass is already really small, and that's assuming it's an x-ray beam pointed directly at glass with no other obstructions. Even if the x-ray dose rate reaches what we know of for x-ray fluorescence devices that can reach >3000 rem/hour on skin contact, this becomes negligible through the glass shielding.

This doesn't say anything about leakage however. That's why we measure.